Thursday 10 January 2013

Guest Blog from Tin Whistle!

Hi there. I'm Milly from Tin Whistle!!!!! 
Because this is my guest blog I get to choose the font and I know my sister hates my favourite one! Courier.

Anyway, she wanted me to blog about the twin (fraternal) quilts we made over the last few days. 

We used a neato quilt pattern from Missouri Quilt company called the Double slice layer cake quilt.

Catherine bought a gorgeous layer cake from the fabric range Coquette by Moda. I decided to select scrappy rainbow fabrics from my stash in really bright colours. This is why the quilts are fraternal twins not identical ones.  


We used this easy tutorial to create the middle section of the quilt. Catherine started out with 10" layer cakes and the finished double sliced blocks end up being 9" square.

 After that we decided to add some borders, starting with a 3.5" blue border. 

 Catherine only had the one layer cake of Coquette fabric so we raided her stash for complimentary pastels and she constructed a scrappy border from 2.5" squares. 

Then she finished off the quilt with another 3.5" blue border. 

  
Here is Catherine's finished quilt top. Its a really generous lap quilt size which Catherine will finish off and keep all for herself.


Here is the sister quilt that I made. It's amazing how different the quilt looks using different fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment