Thursday 10 January 2013

An apple a day...



These little beauties were Millys project that we all fell in love with. She bought this fairly daggy kit that sewed up into a fabric globe.

It was a very simple template that I decided to copy with scraps of Dr Suess fabric. My niece Elizabeth loved it so I gave it to her. Millys template was only 6 pieces of fabric, but I wanted to use lots of colours so I halved each piece and did 12 instead. This turned out to work better as it gave the ball a nicer shape.

I also decided to add the buttons top and bottom and pull the ends in a bit to give a more donut shape.



After I made this, Milly had the brilliant idea of making apples. I had heaps of reds left over from the red strip quilt so I sewed up the balls and Milly made the leaves.


We ran out of stuffing long before we ran out of enthusiasm, so first of all I cut up some cheap pillows for their innards then I used Richards miracle 'cloud pillow'. This was a TV gimmick I bought Richard for Chrissy as he saw it on TV and thought it would be awesome. I'm surprised it didn't come with a set of 6 free steak knives it was such a con. Anyway, the little tiny beans it was filled with made a lovely stuffing for my apple ;)





Milly also made a blue/green one with scraps of fabric she had left over from another project. Instead of filling this one with poly filling, she left a hole in the top and popped a balloon in it. It makes an awesome ball and the balloon can just be replaced if it pops.


 NOTHING stands in the way of sewing!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Yeah they're cool aren't they? I couldn't help but sew up 2 more this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete