Sunday 5 May 2013

I did go to spotlight (again)...

So I've just come back from 5 days in Perth with the kids. The highlight of the trip was going with Milly to watch Adam Hills perform. Some may recall he was the host of ABC's Spicks and Specks. He was absolutely hilarious and I highly recommend catching one of his shows if you can.

Whilst hanging out with Milly I got an idea for another quilt. It involved raiding Milly's scrap stash to come up with the following:




I got the idea from here: http://funthreads.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/zig-zag-rainbow-tutorial.html but I've been wanting to a colourful quilt with a black background for a while so I decided to swap it out with the white.




Pity I haven't sewed a single seam yet. It's looking a bit tedious!



I took the hexagon quilt up to Perth so I could get some border ideas to make it larger. From Milly's stash (and at her suggestion) I decided on a thin 1 inch grey and white stripe border, followed by a 4 inch blue one.


From spotlight I got inspirational backing fabric and more stripey fabric from Milly's stash for the binding.

Lastly I had realised that my stash was looking a bit thin so I decided to pad it out with some new purchases. A very eclectic mix resulted and I think my favourite is The Little Prince fabric at the bottom of the shot. The stripey stuff at the top is plastic coated and is going to be used as the underside of a picnic blanket. I'll quilt the top and sandwich it with wadding and keep it in the car boot as a picnic blanket. Not sure what the topper will be. Maybe flying geese. I started some of those a while ago and am keen to do a flying geese quilt.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment